Saturday, January 25, 2014

Love is in the Air.... (or well, it should always be not for just one day)

There's a little Hallmark holiday just around the corner and some of you know how I feel about this particular day. But that's just me. Think about it, a holiday where we're suppose to show our love for our significant other and we usually end up trying to show up our friends, "Guess what my love gave me..."  "Well, I got...." And then we go home pissed at our loved one because they didn't give us a big enough present. Or a big enough box of chocolates or either it was too big and then that starts a whole thing. Geesh!!  But there are people out there who do enjoy this holiday so I'm going to share with you some ideas. These you can do with your kids, for your loved one or to just decorate.  So how ever you celebrate February 14.... Happy Day!

For the kids: Salt Dough Hearts


Ok, I used this recipe during the holidays for handprints but you can use it any time of the year. Say even 4th of July to make red, white and blue stars. It's very simple and easy.



 Mix:
1 Cup of salt
1Cup of flour
1 Cup water (add gradually)

Mix ingredients together but add the water slowly (you may not need all of it). The dough should not be too sticky or or too dry.  Knead for a few minutes, it should be soft, and then roll out. Using the cookie cutters of your choice.


Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and bake the ornaments for approximately 3 hours or until dry(this is how I did it at Christmas but I needed to turn the ornaments to dry out the other side and cook for another hour). One recipe I found said you can place the dough into the microwave for 3 minutes. If the dough still felt sticky continue zapping at 20 second intervals until done.

Before you get down to business of actually making the ornaments let your child explore the texture of the dough first. This is good for any age, letting your child play with the dough helps to strengthen fine motor skills (and a good precursor towards clay but that's a different story). Inevitably, your child will explore the taste...





oh yumm!


Uhmmm, wait a minute....


I take that back.... Yuck!!!

This one is for the adults. Using the about recipe to make a cookie ornament. (This has been a popular repine from one of my boards)


For the morning:


Free printables:










No comments:

Post a Comment