Thursday, November 21, 2013

And the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down…...

As you know, I was an Early Childhood teacher before getting pregnant. For the past 8 years, I had changed my whole way of teaching and began listening to the children.  I found out that teaching was more enjoyable when I listened to the children't agenda rather than my own. Now, there were times when certain skills had to be taught but I never pushed and let the children come to me to show that they were interested in doing more. Now, I have my own child and I have to admit that teaching did not prepare me for motherhood. This is a 24/7 job with no time off. But I do love it; at times though I have been watching JDQ and notice he was needing more just exploring an activity mat. (I will share these soon with everyone.) I finally gained the confidence to do with him what was natural with me. Listen to what he needed. Today he was really interested in the rain. He's only seen it once and we were at the Cape. He wasn't interested in the rain at that time but this was not the case today. Though I only had my iPhone camera, I did not quite capture what he was actually looking at but you can imagine. In the videos, you will see I stopped listening and he made it apparent that I did. I'm sure their will be a next time.

During breakfast I noticed JDQ kept turning to try to see out the window. Our table is in front of the sliding glass door but his high chair faces away from the window. The outside door was open so it appeared that he could hear the rain coming down and wanted to see it. I sat him down in his chair and he watched the rain dripping onto the patio and falling from our outdoor table.


I decided to to catch some rain drops to see what he would do. I set a bowl outside and we waited for some rain. After a while there was only about a 1/4 of an inch but I decided to put it onto the tray of his high chair. Thinking that he would explore it the same way he does when he takes a bath (we both end up getting wet).  Clearly I took over the exploring as you will see he was interested in the bowl not the water.

Part 1


Part 2

Now, I'm not knocking myself but sometimes I'm so excited for JDQ to explore which he does endlessly, that I forgot and took over the learning. Other than the possibility of the bowl dropping he would have still explored the bowl. Something he sees me pull out all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment