Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Reposting old recipes: Black Bean Burgers - vegan

 Black Bean Burgers

Is it obvious that I'm liking the recipes from the Spork girls?  A while back, I made the Black Bean and corn burgers. They suggest making mini burgers but I made them regular size and boy are they yummy!  I also used Eden's Carribean Style black bean and rice with some extra black beans from Eden's canned black beans (minus the liquid).  As usual, I used a shallot instead of a regular onion.  For the toppings, I used Whole Foods mango salsa (so tasty! and the green bits are from the salsa), and ketchup and mustard.  Even though I halved the mixture, it still made quite a bit so I froze the leftovers (shaping them into burgers before wrapping them up).  Later, I defrosted one and they still tasted just as good as the first making.  

(makes 12 mini burgers)
Ingredients:
1 T oil, plus 2 T for cooking
1/2 of a large onion 
2 cloves garlic (didn't use)
1/2 c corn, fresh or frozen
1/2 large red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
salt
pepper
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed
1/4 t chipotle powder (I used a little cayenne powder, thyme and red pepper flakes)
1 T vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 T lemon juice (I used a lime)
2 t agave nectar
3/4 C rolled oats
1 C bread crumbs (I used the whole wheat bread crumbs) or 2 pieces of spelt bread

Preheat large pot over medium heat and add 1 T oil.  Add onion and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.  Add corn, bell pepper, salt, and pepper.  Cook until mixture is slightly browned, about 3-4 minutes and set aside.

In a food processor, combine black beans, chipotle powder, salt, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and agave. Pulse together 5-8 times. Add oats and bread crumbs or spelt bread.  Pulse until uniform, scraping down the sides to further incorporate into processor.  Transfer to a large bowl.  Add cooked onion and pepper mixture to the bowl and mix. 

Heat a large pan over medium heat and add remaining oil.  With damp hands, form into burgers and place into heated pan.  Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until browned. 


(some information: "Oats are a super nutrient-dense cereal grain that can actually help reduce cravings for cigarettes!)

(If you do decide to really bbq these, I would probably use a pan, I don't think the mixture would hold...)  

Enjoy!!  xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment