Monday, November 18, 2013

What's for Breakfast?



French toast!  I love French toast- any kind (ok, it can't have nuts in it).  I've made many different types of french toast of the years. Pumpkin, Cinnamon, regular, with berries on top, etc. While at the Cape, a new local breakfast place boasted about their Blueberry Muffin French toast. Of course, I had to try it. I mean, you have the best of both worlds- a blueberry muffin loaded with antioxidants and french toast. It was delicious! I couldn't believe I never thought of making this before. Then just the other day, I re-pinned a recipe for Gingerbread French Toast. When I clicked onto the recipe, it was not quite what I was expecting. Instead of a challah they used.... gingerbread! Wow!  What an idea, just like the breakfast place. But because I was expecting something that had molasses that you mixed into an egg mixture, I did not have any gingerbread made. BUT I did have some pumpkin bread.  So I used that; you could use any quick bread that you have lying around such as carrot, banana, lemon, etc.  The recipe also called for sweetened condensed milk and I really didn't want to open a can for just myself so I used regular milk and added some cinnamon.  Though the condensed milk would have made the egg mixture more creamy, I felt the milk was just as good. The next time, I would add some nutmeg to the egg mixture.




Here is the original recipe: via A Pinch of Yum

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 loaf gingerbread
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Whisk the eggs, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla together.
  2. Cut the gingerbread into slices. Heat a tablespoon of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
  3. Dip each slice into the beaten egg mixture and turn over several times until well saturated. Place immediately in pan one piece at a time and cook for a few minutes. When the back side is golden brown, flip and cook again until both sides are golden brown and set. Keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
  4. Top with powdered sugar and maple syrup.


Enjoy!!
Kerry

No comments:

Post a Comment